I am From

I am from leotards, 
from worn out socks and tights with holes in the most conspicuous of places 
I am from the thin bits of paint that come off the barre. (Gray, sticky, a reminder of our unwavering dedication.)  
I am from Bach, playing without fail, over those four set exercises, as I develop an awareness of how my body is feeling that day. 

I’m from power and freedom, 
from bandanas that keep the sweat out of my eyes. 
I’m from the goofball making us all smile and laugh, reminding us it’s okay to be silly.  
from Stop looking at the floor! and More freedom!
I’m from Remy, our senior citizen dog who has taken it upon himself to ignore Kathryn and walk outside whenever the urge arises. 

I’m from the spiky white ball that digs deep into my thighs and the white lacrosse ball that cures all things lower back.    
From the black disks used without fail, half a turn, half a turn, half a turn, full turn. 
Under my feet, what terrible aches and injuries would arise without that layer of marley, absorbing the impact, preventing irreparable damage. 
I am from the burgundy journal in my closet filled with two precious photos taken long ago in a beloved studio on 30th. 

Comments

  1. Hi! I truly loved this poem. I felt like the reader was taken to a place, without being told exactly the specifics- like I felt I was able to assume and conclude many things from your writing, that were maybe not laid out in plain text. Your descriptions of dancing (or barre?) evoked feelings in me of my own ballet/dance studios and traditions growing up. Your metaphors were spot on. Such a great piece- thanks for the share!
    -Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Alessandra
    It’s cool that you’ve kept a continuous concept of your identity as a dancer. You managed to make a really good analogy between your sports and life and incorporated images and memories to create a sense of dedication.
    I’ve never been a sporty or athletic person so reading your description of a perspective I have never been in was quite fascinating.
    I can almost feel the exhaustion and pain but also the sense of belonging you must have felt as you were in your element.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

work is work

I'm not a good tutor